Sunday, July 19, 2009

May 2009

Camping at Big Trees With the Helquists:


Jens roasting marshmellows at the campfire.


Jp and his marshmellow stash...


Sylvie hanging out. She was such a good camper.



The "Helquist Hotel" (AKA the tent that we all slept in.)



The hot chocolate was a hit, along with the popcorn popped over the fire.



Jp with Linus and Mike with Sylvie heading to the trailhead of the Big Trees, home of some HUGE Saquoia Trees.



You can see the Helquist family standing on top of this stump talking to the rangers. Apparently this stump used to be a dancing platform back in the day.


I loved the blosomming dogwood trees and tried to capture that beauty on film.


Jp and I are in a "cheezy" pose to illustrate how wide the tree trunk is. As you can see it is wider than both of our armspans together.



Walking on the trail.


Jp and Jens inside of two big Saquoias.



Big Tree Campground was a lot of fun to stay at and the company was supurb!!





Hiking Half Dome:
The total mileage round trip was 16.4 miles. Here I am at the trailhead.


Here is a great view of Half Dome; it's located in Yosemite National Park.


Jp and I starting out the climb. We were on the trail by 6 AM.


View from top of "Mist Trail" that descended/ascended Nevada Falls. We were soaked by the time we reached the top of the waterfall. It was a great experience to hike literally up the side of a huge waterfall.


View of the Nevada Falls.


Jp and Vernal Falls.


Me hiking on some of the one of the more "flat" parts of the trail.


The granite staircase seemed to go on forever. It was extremely steep.


A closer view of the top of Half Dome. Can you see the line that goest straight up the side of the mountain? Those are people on the cables; the last part of the trail before you summit.


Jp and I at the bottom of the cables.


Jp at the summit overlooking some of the Yosemite Park.


Me at the summit. This hike was awsome, challenging, scary at times and very rewarding. Both Jp and I would love to do it again...next year or the year after that at the latest!

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Oooh that looks like fun. But I think you guys should come up here for a visit, and climb Ranier or something... instead of going back and doing something you have already done :)
--of course that is my attempt at getting to see you --

Camille Nielsen said...

I finally checked your blog and loved our Hawaii pictures most of all, and the Half Dome ones made my stomach ache just looking at the impossible climb. I'll check it out more frequently!
MOM